Antifreeze Poisoning ( Ethylene Glycol Poisoning)

Antifreeze Poisoning

Little Antifreeze in your food or drink could kill you. Today’s antifreeze is primarily ethylene glycol used in internal combustion engines for cooling and to prevent freezing.

Ethylene glycol antifreeze solutions became available in 1927 and were marketed as “permanent antifreeze,” a clear, colorless, odorless, liquid with a sweet taste.

Antifreeze can produce dangerous toxicity effects, even death, in both humans and animals when ingested. Many cases of ethylene glycol poisoning are due to the accidental ingestion of this toxin by children. They may take in large amounts since the substance tastes good. Alcoholics may also drink it as a substitute for alcohol (ethanol).